“I have been attending Sonya Genel’s 12-1 Vinyasa class almost every day, and I have this to say about her and her classes: I LOVE them! This is why.
- Sonya is ALWAYS clear, concise, eloquent, and specific with her instructions.
- Sonya’s teaching and practice focuses on alignment, both physical and mental/spiritual, which is an incredible foundation for everything else we do in class.
- She never rushes through poses, but doesn’t go at a snail’s pace either – classes are always perfectly balanced between challenging, energetic, peaceful, and thought-provoking.
- She is just a total gem of a person and is so obviously dedicated to her practice, the class, her students, and making this world a better and more mindful place!
- Sonya’s dedication and unique, giving spirit create a safe space in every class she teaches for all students, of all levels and backgrounds.
As I mentioned in my first review, I am a teacher myself and therefore I come into any class with a heightened awareness of pedagogy and teaching practice. Sonya’s thoughtfulness, dedication, individual accommodations, preparedness and level of professionalism can set an example for any teacher of any discipline. She facilitates my own progress, as a physical and spiritual being, by helping me tune into my own teacher inside myself, which is the greatest gift any teacher could ever give me. I HIGHLY recommend Sonya as a yoga teacher to anyone who loves yoga – or even to anyone who doesn’t YET know that they could love it!”
—Toby Branz via Yelp
Testimonials: a perfect blend of heat and attention to alignment
I’ve been taking yoga for about 7 years on and off and I’m here to say that Sonya Genel is THE BEST!
She encourages a perfect blend of heat and attention to alignment in the postures and I always left class feeling rejuvenated. In all my years of yoga I can honestly say that Sonya’s class is the only one I have taken where I felt 100% present and happy to be practicing throughout the whole 90 minutes!
Now that I’m living across the country I often channel Sonya in my classes and I continue to find that her influence has made a huge difference in my practice!
—Rachel M. via Yelp
Testimonials: truly an incredible yoga teacher
Sonya is truly an incredible yoga teacher. I had been practicing Bikram for a little over three years until I hurt my back. I took sometime away from the mat and when I returned I decided I wanted to try a different type of yoga that worked on the mental aspect as well as the body. What an amazing decision that was. The first teacher I stumbled upon was Sonya. She was so patient at teaching me all the new poses and really took the time to make sure I was putting my body into the correct alignment. I love the way she keeps you mentally present in the class by always saying the perfect thing. I have now been visiting her class for almost 2 years now and really feel a difference in my body and mind. If you are looking for a class that will work you out, sculpt your muscles and your mind and bring some peace into your hectic day, Sonya is the yoga teacher for you!
—wendy w. via Yelp