Join Sonya Genel E-RYT500 and a collective of special guest teachers for this unique opportunity to deepen your yoga practice and learn the essential skills to become a great teacher. Dive into powerful studies that combine the logical mind with intuitive flow, the scientific with the mystical traditions, and the conscious with the subconscious to unlock deep reservoirs of creative energy within you!
This 200-hour Rasa Yoga Teacher Training is registered with Yoga Alliance and is a great foundation in the practices and art of teaching yoga. The program brings a wealth of knowledge and has the foundational approach of fostering every teacher’s unique gifts, heart, and voice.
What is Rasa Yoga?
Rasa Yoga is a modern day yoga mystery school that brings together skill, ingenuity, and soulful creative expression. It is a fusion of vinyasa flow, intelligent alignment, myth, mantra, mudra, meditation, and ritual. Founded by internationally celebrated teacher Sianna Sherman, Rasa Yoga serves as a platform for personal and collective transformation. Rasa Yogis are dedicated to the practices of yoga, community collaboration, individual creativity, and soul alchemy. The teachings are universal and life enriching on many levels.
Who is this training for?
This training is both for dedicated practitioners who wish to immerse themselves in the practices of yoga, and for yoga teachers seeking to refine their skills. The program offers a soulful and integrated approach to serve as the catalyst for radical change and growth in your personal life. You will also be given all the tools you need to grow into a skillful and successful teacher of yoga.
This 200 Hour Training is designed as a 3 module program and takes place over the course of several months. Each module is an 8 day long immersion that dives deep into the materials, providing an intensive experience. The extended time between modules provides ample space for processing and integrating the teachings into daily life.
1) GANESHA MODULE – NEW BEGINNINGS
The Ganesha module sets up the foundation for an integrated yoga practice. Learn the names and forms of essential yoga poses along with basic pranayama, alignment principles and healthy biomechanics of asana practice. This module initiates the study of yoga philosophy and how the ancient practices apply to modern-day life.
2) LAKSHMI MODULE – CHURN THE HEART
The Lakshmi module dives into the heart of the practices with increasing commitment and invites the practitioner to willingly enter the churning phase of practice and learning how to teach the practices. Learn how to structure a class and how to articulate the shapes and forms of the poses with biomechanical awareness. Functional anatomy will be introduced for the upper and lower body as well as beginning adjustments with therapeutic understanding. Learn set sequences for both solar and lunar asana offerings to begin practice teaching with friends. Beginning sequencing will be taught in conjunction with basic voicing skills. The group energy co-creates safe space and refuge to begin teaching in small groups.
3) HANUMAN MODULE – LEAP WITH LOVE
The Hanuman module builds an effective bridge for the bold leap into the world as a yoga teacher. The teacher is prepared with a solid foundation of understanding asana biomechanics, adjustments, class themes, basic anatomy, philosophical understanding of the yoga tradition, and steady practice that informs the teacher with living wisdom as an embodied vessel. Every trainee will be initiated to teach for the entire group with direct and loving feedback from Sonya. Emerge with your unique voice and share the practice of yoga with Love.
Topics that will be Covered:
- Sankalpa – crafting root intentions for your practice, teaching, and life.
- Sadhana – creating a strong regular personal practice.
- Vinyasa Flow – how to create inspired sequences linking movement to breath.
- Asana– Foundation & Form: Learn intelligent alignment & key biomechanics of 108 yoga poses.
- Functional Anatomy – an integrated vision of the human body & essential anatomy for yogis.
- Meditation Fundamentals – learn to practice and teach several different meditation techniques. Simple and powerful!
- Pranayama – learn to practice and teach a wide variety of beginning through advanced breathing techniques.
- Energetics – demystifying Chakras, Koshas, Prana Vayus, and Nadis.
- Mantras – the power of sacred sound and chanting.
- Mythology – stories of the gods and goddesses from the yoga tradition that bring the practice to life and provide everyday inspiration for modern times.
- Mudras – Sacred hand gestures or seals.
- Bandhas – energetic locks for asana.
- Restorative Yoga – restful practices for deep healing.
- Yoga History & Philosophy– study key teachings from sacred texts: Yoga Sutras, Bhagavad Gita, and a sample of tantric texts.
- Intro to Sanskrit – basic pronunciation for asana poses and common chants.
- Intro to Ayurveda – the yogic way to health and wellness.
- Art of Teaching – setting class themes, voice & effective communication, demonstrations, use of music, verbal and physical adjustments and more!
- Progressive Sequencing – intelligent & creative maps to sequencing your classes.
- Sacred Space– the art of holding space for others & creating ritual.
- Business of Yoga – professionalism, marketing, creating workshops and trainings, teaching privates, building community, standing out in a crowded market.
- Light on Yoga – BKS Iyengar
- Yoga Resource Practice Manual – Darren Rhodes
- Yoga Sutras of Patanjali – any translation
- Tantra Unveiled – Pandit Rajmani Tigunait
- Path of Yoga – Georg Feuerstein
- Yoga and Ayurveda – David Frawley
- Yoga Anatomy – Leslie Kaminoff
Sonya Genel, ERYT500, joyfully embraces the power of yoga not only to heal and transform the body but also to heighten human consciousness and to create a radiant life. In her classes, Sonya weaves precise anatomical alignment with flowing movement. Always approaching her students with authenticity and humor. Sonya’s intention is to hold space for a direct embodied connection with Spirit. When she is not teaching yoga, Sonya can often be found drawing or painting. As an artist, she notices the profound effects yoga has on her creativity, and she has dedicated herself to enthusiastically guiding others toward enhancing their own unique life path through yoga.
When Sonya first discovered yoga in the 1990’s, she began with Ashtanga yoga and power vinyasa, but as her practice evolved she gravitated more towards alignment based styles such as Anusara and Iyengar. She attended her first teacher training at the Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health. Over the years she has completed hundreds more hours of training in alignment based yoga, prenatal yoga, anatomy, therapeutics, mysticism, tantra, and meditation. Sonya is grateful to have had the opportunity to study deeply with Sianna Sherman and many other incredible teachers.
Sonya now brings over 10 years of teaching experience to her classes, workshops, trainings and retreats. She is a certified teacher of Rasa Yoga, and holds an E-RYT 500 with Yoga Alliance.
- Sianna Sherman (Rasa Yoga Founder)
- Greta Hill (Ayurveda & Wellness)
- Dr. Mike Lane (Anatomy)
- Jennifer Lane (Subtle Anatomy & Dream work)
- Alli Shafer (Mantra & Mudra)
- Arasa Maram (Music & Sound in Yoga)
- Tamara Vodovoz (Acroyoga & Thai Massage)
- And more…!
Module 1) September 10–17, 2017
Module 2) January 28–February 04, 2018
Module 3) May 06–13, 2018
Heart Source Center
1600 Shattuck Ave. Suite 214A
Berkeley, CA 94709
$2550 Early Bird, $2800 after July 23.
$650 Deposit is non-refundable. Full payment is due before the start of the program. No refunds after August 10th.
Got questions? Contact Sonya for more information.
Ready to sign up? Fill out the form below!