Flipping burgers on the grill goes hand in hand with summer block parties and fourth of July BBQs. Here is a great recipe for a handmade vegetarian burger patty!
4 medium beets, trimmed, peeled, and quartered (about 3/4 pound total)
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus more for cooking burgers
1 cup diced shiitake mushrooms
1/2 cup minced scallions
1/2 cup grated carrots
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 cup raw cashews
1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, drained
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Place beets in a baking pan; drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Roast until tender, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool. Dice finely, and place in a large bowl.
2. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the mushrooms, scallions, carrots, cumin, and paprika, and cook, stirring until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add to bowl with beets.
3. Pulse cashews in a food processor to a fine powder. Add to bowl.
4. Pulse chickpeas in food processor to a thick paste. Add to bowl.
5. Add rice, salt, pepper, and mustard to bowl; mix well.
6. Press the mixture into 6 patties, and refrigerate for at least an hour.
7. Grill on medium-high heat or sear patties in a hot, well-oiled frying pan for 4 to 5 minutes; flip carefully with spatula and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
recipe found at yogajournal.com